Because the Russia-Ukraine warfare enters its 415th day, we check out the principle developments.
Right here is the state of affairs because it stands on Friday, April 14, 2023:
- Kyiv and Moscow introduced separate investigations right into a disturbing video displaying the alleged beheading of a Ukrainian soldier and believed to have been filmed by Wagner Group mercenaries from Russia.
- Russia’s defence ministry mentioned its forces had been “blocking” Ukrainian troops from leaving or coming into Bakhmut, however Kyiv rejected the declare. Yevgeny Prigozhin, chief of the Wagner mercenary group mentioned it was “too early” to say Russia had the ruined metropolis surrounded.
- A Russian mine exploded close to the generator room of the Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Energy Station, Ukraine’s state nuclear plant operator Energoatom mentioned.
- The FBI arrested 21-year-old Jack Teixeira, from the USA Air Drive Nationwide Guard in reference to the alleged leak of categorised army intelligence paperwork on-line.
- Within the newest revelations from the leaked recordsdata, the paperwork steered the US was monitoring United Nations chief Antonio Guterres as a result of it believed he was too delicate on Russia after it invaded Ukraine.
- Norway mentioned it might expel 15 Russian diplomats suspected of spying whereas working on the Russian embassy in Oslo.
- Moscow mentioned there can be no extension of the Black Sea grain deal past Might 18 until obstacles to exporting Russian grain and fertiliser had been eliminated.
- Romania, Ukraine and Moldova signed cooperation agreements in Bucharest after a trilateral assembly on methods to strengthen safety to counter threats posed by Russia.
- Chinese language and Russian overseas ministers mentioned the battle in Ukraine throughout a gathering in Uzbekistan’s Samarkand metropolis, the Chinese language overseas ministry mentioned.
- The US Commerce Division mentioned it was imposing export controls on greater than two dozen corporations in China, Turkey and different international locations for supporting Russia’s army and defence industries.
- Ukraine’s state-owned gasoline firm Naftogaz mentioned Russia has been ordered by an arbitration courtroom in The Hague to pay $5bn in compensation for expropriating Ukrainian property in Crimea.
- The Kremlin denied a report that Russian President Vladimir Putin personally permitted the arrest of Wall Road Journal reporter Evan Gershkovich, who has been charged with spying.
- Docs With out Borders (Medecins Sans Frontieres, or MSF) mentioned it had but to be given entry to offer support to Moscow-occupied areas of Ukraine, regardless of talks final month with Russian diplomats in Geneva.
- Berlin permitted Poland’s request to ship 5 MiG-29 fighter jets to Ukraine, German Defence Minister Boris Pistorius mentioned in an announcement.
- President Aleksandar Vucic mentioned Serbia by no means offered weapons or ammunition to Ukraine or Russia, though Serbian arms might need reached the battlefield by way of third international locations.